Sunday 13 August 2023

Relief

The English word 'relief' has a multitude of meaning and uses. Back in January someone asked me if I felt relieved about something that was happening and it got me thinking... I looked at the various definitions in the dictionary and pondered how the word's origins are linked to the idea of being raised up or elevated. Then I wrote this:



You step in to take my place
when I am too worn out to work,
Provide assistance
when I am in need.

In you I find respite 
from the tension.
I sigh,
exhale,
and expand as the pressure lifts.
Released from this
too long carried,
crushing load.

On this lowly canvas
you repeatedly stamp your mark
until the truth stands out.
My world is coloured 
by your hand
mapping the highs and lows
with shades of hope.

With contrast 
and care,
you raise me up again.



No comments:

Post a Comment