Monday 9 December 2019

Dormant

At the start of 2019 a friend mentioned to me how she always selects a word at the beginning of each year that captures a sense of the year ahead, and she asked me what my word would be.

After some thought I felt that there were two words for me for the year ahead: Waiting and Change.

I commented at the time that they aren't words that I normally put together - change, for me, tends to be a more driven thing; I like to have a plan and know where things are going. But there was a sense that 2019 wasn't going to be about planning, it was going to be about waiting and seeing changes emerge around me, and from within me.

This weekend as I revisited my words, I was drawn to the image of seeds. Lying dormant, alive but not yet active. Waiting for a change that cannot be forced. We can plant seeds, and provide the correct growing conditions, but other than that we just have to wait and trust that eventually, once the seed has broken open, something beautiful will bloom.


Buried beneath the layers
laid down
through time and choice
we wait
for these seeds of hope
to bloom

Now is not the time for toil
nor striving
within this protective shell
we wait
alive with possibilities
yet dormant.

Time passes in silent moments
breaking open
the fragile dreams we hold
waiting
until with unforced change
we begin to flourish.


No comments:

Post a Comment